Saturday, October 30, 2010

Life and School

This week we had a special performance to attend that the 5th and 6th graders put together for the school and their parents. There were many dances, songs, and skits that were very well done, including songs from The Sound of Music. They had memorized all of their lines and dance moves, and even though most of it was in Chinese, it was very enjoyable to watch. They were decked out in costumes and stage make-up, even the boys had on bright pink lipstick and they didn’t seem to think anything of it!
Many of the higher level students are beginning to prepare for an English competition where they will be giving speeches and will be judged on their English. This week I have been able to work more one on one with these students and help them prepare. They will be asked a question about how they feel they have grown and changed during their life. The answer that struck me the most and brings so much insight into this culture was from my student “Rachel” as she talks about how she is becoming more responsible and independent and that she longs to one day give back to her parents what they parents have given her. Even at the age of 10, this is what many Chinese students looking into their future would count as success. It is expected that after University and getting a job, you will live with your parents, sometimes even if you are married, to take care of them as they have worked very hard for the opportunities that have come in your life. Family is greatly valued here and you see it even just in walking down the street, as grandparents are pushing their grandchild in a stroller, most likely because the parents are working to provide for both generations.
This is also a very collective society, which does not work well when I give out a test and my students think it is a “group test.” I have tried to emphasize and model “keep your eyes on your own paper” but some students still think it is ok to look around for answers. I have been consistent in taking points off for cheating and I am trying to use it to promote character in my class such as honesty and integrity.
I am realizing more and more that life and school here very much merge together. When the students spend more time at school than they do at home with their parents, their teachers and classmates become their family. I just love being able to give my students hugs throughout the week and their excitement always remains the same when they see me!
It is hard to believe but midterm exams will be going on next week, which means a whole other week of schedule changes that just keep this school year interesting and unpredictable!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie! Life is very busy there! I am happy to hear you are doing well and enjoying these great new experiences. The group test approach is funny and I am sure some students here would like to believe that is a great idea, as well! I am going to tell my kids that they too will need to follow this model of tradition...love it. It's great to hear your stories. We miss you and look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete