Friday, December 10, 2010

"Very beautiful! Very beautiful indeed!"

Even though Christmas is not celebrated as prominently here, our team is still feeling the holiday rush as there are many end of the semester activities going on. Next week, we will have the opening ceremonies of the first annual English Festival that will last about a week at our school. The students will get to display some of their English writings, art work, and the festival will end with a performance of English songs. The school has asked me and my teammates to be a part of this performance by dancing to "We're All in This Together" from High School Musical. We have two weeks to learn the dance and have rehearsals with the Chinese teachers so we can perform it together! I know the students are going to love it and I will probably feel like a rockstar for a night.
I will be teaching my lessons about Christmas next week. It will be a time we can really share what Christmas is all about so I am excited for the opportunity to share hope with my students. We are going to be putting on a short Christmas play in our class called, "Christmas Around the World." I have looked up different Christmas traditions from different countries and I will be assigning students to different countries. They will become the expert on their country's traditions. We are then going to learn the song "Joy to the World." I am hoping it will be a neat opportunity for them to see He came for people of all nations! We will also be having a Christmas cookie decorating party with our Chinese teachers and hope it is a time of salty conversations and fellowship.
This past week I had two cute moments with students. A girl in one of my classes told me she had a dream about me the night before. Then, one evening when I was walking home from school, a 7 year old boy who is not one of my students said "Hello Teacher!" like all the students normally do when they walk by any teacher, but he continued "Very beautiful! Yes, very beautiful indeed!" What a great way to end my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment